See a map of the parks.
Bradner Gardens Park
29th Ave South & South Grand Street, Seattle, WA 98144 – map it
Bradner Gardens Park is a 1.6 park and community garden in the Mt. Baker neighborhood of Seattle. The site was formerly the Quinsite-Bradner Housing project, then a ball field and then a Seattle School District property. Now the park hosts 61 community gardens, or P-Patches, as well as demonstration and learning gardens , a bee hive, an educational center, a Heritage Garden, a perennial garden and a Children’s Garden. The park is managed by the Friends of Bradner Gardens in cooperation with Seattle Parks.
In addition to an historical apple tree, Bradner hosts an espalier apple along its southern fence and several columnar apples, a crabapple, blueberries, and a new (2010) Jam Session plum.
Bradner’s orchards stewards for 2010-2012 are Frith Barbat, Matt Maria and Maren Neldam.
Brandon Triangle Garden
Wilson Ave S & S Brandon Street, Seattle WA – map it
The Brandon Triangle Garden is a community-created garden on a triangle-shaped property in south Seattle. It is managed by the Seattle Department of Transportation. Until recently, the property had only weeds and blackberries growing on it. In 2010 a group of community volunteers started cleaning up the plot with the goal of creating a more attractive community space and demonstrating permaculture-inspired low maintenance approaches to growing edibles in an urban environment.
Working with City Fruit, the gardeners have shifted their focus towards fruit trees and berry plants. We are in the process of creating an edible hedge that will form the core of the garden, with mainly perennial edibles, beneficials, and decorative plantings around the perimeter. We also hope to incorporate spaces for outdoor art and areas for neighbors to sit and enjoy the garden.
Read more about Brandon Triangle Garden at their blog.
They are always happy to welcome new volunteers – Send an email to the Brandon Triangle Gardeners
The Burke-Gilman Trail is a recreational biking, walking and jogging trail that runs from Fremont to Kenmore (about 15 miles). It follows the north shore of Lake Union and the west shore of Lake Washington, the route of a Seattle-based railroad started in 1885 by Judge Thomas Burke, Daniel Gilman and others. The trail is managed by Seattle’s Department of Transportation and Seattle Parks and Recreation.
The Burke-Gilman Trail Urban Orchard Stewards care for six apples trees growing along the Wallingford section of the Trail from one tree west of Gasworks Parks at Northlake Place to a pair of trees growing in the shadow of I-5. The trees have been identified as: Northlake Way – Hawkeye Delicious (one of the original Delicious varieties), 34th & Pacific – undetermined Delicious, one Golden Delicious; Eastern and Pacific: crabapple; 40th & Pacific – Common Delicious; I-5 and Burke-Gilman Trail – Ben Davis.
In addition to the six apple trees, the Stewards are in the process of rehabilitating nine more apple trees and one pear tree, most of which are along the Trail between I-5 and the University Bridge. These trees will be added to the Burke-Gilman Trail “orchard” in 2012.
Burke Gilman Trail stewards are Barb Burrill, Jackie Cramer, Rachel Harer, Harriet Huber, Kim Lokan and Lily Sotoo.
Dr. Jose Rizal Park
1008 12th Ave South, Seattle, WA 98144 – map it
Jose Rizal Park sites on the west side of Beacon Hill and is best known for its view of downtown Seattle and Elliott Bay. The large orchard lying in the meadow below the viewpoint has only recently been rescued from blackberries and other undergrowth. The orchard contains more than fifteen apple trees, including a stand of winesaps, fifteen crabapples and a black walnut. The entire park, including the orchards, will become increasing accessible due to the 2011 extension of the Mountain to Sound Trail along the north and west sides of the orchard.
The Jose Rizal orchard stewards are Devor Barton, Krizten Breidenich, Christine Cole, Liz Reed Hawk, Don Ricks and Craig Thompson.
Martha Washington Park
6612 – 57th Ave S, Seattle, WA 98118 – map it
Martha Washington is a 9.6 acre park on the shore of Lake Washington in south Seattle. The site was settled by Seattle pioneer, E.A. Clark, and was a YMCA youth camp in the late 1800’s. In 1920, the Seattle School District bought the property and operated the Martha Washington School for Girls until 1957. The park is currently a large, grassy meadow along the shore of the lake, with large (old) apple trees growing throughout the park.
The Martha Washington orchard stewards are Jim Kramer, Carol MacIlroy, Joe Chiveney, Tamara Guyton and Peter Kretschmer.
Queen Pea Patch
5th Ave North and Howe St (map it)
Queen Pea Community Garden’s sandstone border surrounds 34 plots in Trolley Hill Park. Garden plots have stunning views of Mt. Rainier. There is a large historic apple tree at the front of the orchard and apple, plum, and pear trees scattered throughout the garden.
The Queen Pea Orchard Stewards are Sean Maloney, Jenifer Vasche, and Ann Whiting
8040 25th Ave NE (map it)
Picardo Farm is the original Seattle community garden, it has the longest term gardeners; dedicated people who have worked for years at tilling the soil and cultivating the land. It is also unique in having the longest quack grass roots in the city, the greatest number of comfrey plants per acre, and the most numerous slugs in the universe, according to the Seattle Department of Neighborhoods.
In addition to being located in Seattle’s oldest community garden, the Picardo Farm has one of the most well cared for and bountiful orchards. The orchard contains many apple, asian pear and stone fruit trees and is responsible for the contribution of 100s of pounds of fruit to local food banks.
4649 Sunnyside Ave N, 98103 (map it)
Meridian Park is located on the wide expanse of parkland in front of the Good Shepherd Center. Mark Wilson, the property manager for the Good Shepherd Center, states that the building, which was constructed in 1905, originally housed the Sisters of the Good Shepherd, a Roman Catholic order of nuns that were devoted to the care, rehabilitation and education of girls and young women in crisis. The Sisters of the Good Shepherd believed that by providing the benefits of a stable and loving home, the girls could become responsible, moral and caring women. The nuns planted and maintained an orchard at the site in order to teach the girls home economics, how to cook and grow food.
This site operated until 1973 when, as a result of receiving fewer donations, the Center closed. Ashley Fent’s survey of the fruit trees in Seattle Parks documents that after its closure, community members took action to preserve the site as a historic landmark and the parkland was acquired by SPD in 1976. Over sixty apple, pear and plum trees remain at both Meridian Park and the Good Shepherd Center, which is now used to house various local business practices. The SPD and Historic Seattle take care of these fruit trees.
The Meridian Park Orchard stewards are Laure Jansen, Sue Hartmand.