Nell’s restaurant recently shared the following recipe with their email list. It is the perfect treat at this time of year.
Red Wine & Star Anise Poached Pears
with Pear Ice Cream
. . .
6 Bosc or D’Anjou pears
3 cups full bodied red wine
1 cup sugar
5 pieces Star Anise
1 bay leaf
* Add wine, sugar and spices to a saucepan and bring to a boil.
* Peel pears and cut in half. With a melon baller, cut out pits and use knife to cut bottom and stem. Also with knife slice a bit off rounded side to flatten pear allowing it to sit in bowl.
* Add to simmering wine and cook till tender about 10 – 20 minutes depending upon how ripe pears are.
* Cool in liquid.
. . .
PEAR ICE CREAM
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 ¼ cup sugar
9 egg yolks
4 Bosc or D’Anjou pear, ripe
* Peel and core pears. Cut into pieces, add ½ cup sugar and 2 TBLS water and cook in covered sauce pan till tender
* Combine cream, milk and ¾ cup sugar in a sauce pan and bring to a boil
* Let cool for one minutes and add ¾ cup hot cream to egg yolks, stir and add back into sauce pan of cream. Depending upon temperature of cream, it may thicken or you may need to heat further stirring constantly till mixture coats the back of a spoon.
* Strain through a fine strainer and cool
* Puree pears, strain and add to custard
* Spin in ice cream machine
– Makes about 1 ½ quarts (12 or more servings) –
. . .
Serve pears in a bowl, drizzle with the red wine and a scoop of pear ice cream on top