Apples – 4 cups sliced or cubed
Sugar – approximately 1/2 cup
Vanilla Sugar – 1 teaspoon
Bread – about a quarter loaf, enough to make 2 cups of bread crumbs
Butter – 4 tablespoons
Heavy Cream (for whipping) – 1 cup
Cook apples in a small pot over medium heat with approximately 1/2 cup water, 1/8 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar. Make sure the apple mixture isn’t too liquid-y. Once the apples soften, mash them with a potato masher and remove from heat. They should look like chunky apple sauce. Let apple mixture cool.
Cut bread into bread crumbs, approximately 1/4″ cubes, or chop up in food processor to desired coarseness. Mix bread crumbs with 1/4 cup sugar. Melt butter in pan over medium/low heat, until lightly browned. Add bread crumbs and 1/4 cup sugar and toast in butter until golden in color and crispy (be sure to stir bread crumbs while toasting). Let bread crumb mixture cool. Stir occasionally while cooling to prevent crumbs from sticking together.
Just before serving:
● Whip heavy cream with 1 to 2 tablespoons of sugar.
● Layer apples and bread crumbs in a deep bowl.
● Top with whipped cream.
● Any type of apple can be used.
● The amount of sugar can be adjusted for personal preference and type of apple used.
● The proportion of bread crumbs to apple mixture can also be adjusted for personal preference.
Melissa Poe is a member of City Fruit’s Board of Directors. She recently discovered this tasty apple cake recipe courtesy of her neighbor. The recipe convinced her of the joy of warm apples!